What Makes a good autobiography
“It was as I was
stumbling home at 5am, alone, tired and very, very drunk that it dawned on just
how funny licking the dirt off the floor in the bar, actually was. “
Was that any good? I doubt it. What was wrong with it? It
offers nothing out of the ordinary, nothing that differs from most young people
in the UK. There is nothing says to the reader, I, Richard Jacobs, have lived a
different and varied life such that others really want to invest a month of the
spare time reading about it. But what if that was written by a premiership
footballer reminiscing about a team Christmas party? I bet that quote would be
all over sky sports news like an alcoholic at a free bar.
So what does make a good autobiography? What makes a page
turning, can’t put down, can’t go to sleep yet, introspective tale of person’s
life.
For me, what makes people first pick up an autobiography,
read it cover to cover and then retell the stories and insights they have
learnt to their friends is that the person is not only famous, but someone they
are in a lot of ways, envious of. Whether the author is a sport star, musician,
actor, politician, they have led a different life to the norm. They have done
something different to the semi-detached house with 2.4 kids and 2 cars in the
driveway. And it is that journey, that different childhood or life defining
memories that people want to know and are fascinated about. It doesn’t matter
if some of their drunken stories or escapades are similar to some of the rest
of us. People want feel like they know some they admire (and perhaps wish they
were).
While some of us have the ability to make us fall off our
chairs with their story regaling….unless you’re someone famous, no one else
other than people who know you will care enough to read it.
So, I’m afraid, the story of me licking the floor in a bar
(once I might add) will not gain me notoriety and therefore, remain a story to
be retold in pub amongst friends.
Comments
Post a Comment