D-Day



What would be the point of a blog if I didn’t write up about my version of events of the 2011 London Marathon? So before I forget too much about the day, I thought I would try and write up about the day and my experiences with it…(The times used are estimates and maybe a little out here and there)
6.40        Wake up at my second alarm
6.45        Breakfast consisted of one huge bowl of cereal and a little water
7.00        Quick shower to a) wake me up a little, b) I can suffer from prickly heat and often I find if I shower in the mornings I can avoid prickly heat when I run. 
 7.30         Grab our bags and head in the car to west hampstead station. I moan that I should have gone to the toilet before we left.
8.10        Reach London bridge station and we head to find a toilet. The gents cubicles has a queue of runners who, like me, have all been caught out. I queue and make my pit stop. I know immediately that I will be fine in the race and won’t need a “refreshment  break” during the run.
8.40        Having caught an overground train we arrive with all masses at Greenwich station and don’t have to worry about which way to go, I just follow the crowd! Approximately 18,000 runners start from the “red pen” and as we leave the station we randomly bump into my friend Rob and his running partner Sarah and we walk to the starting pens. 10 mins later we arrive and wish Rob and Sarah luck.
9.10        2 Gel packs have exploded and because they’re gooey and sticky all the other gels packs are covered in mess. We manage to find a bottle of water on the ground eventually and wash the gels packs. We then have to get all our gear ready and pack everything else away in our red bag. The red bag has our racing number on and at the finishing line we get it back and it will have clothes for the way home etc… An amazing feat that 37,000 bags are taken from the start line to the finish line across London with the roads closed and they put out in order again, very impressive.
9.40        We load our bags onto the lorries and head to the start line and join the pack. It’s already mobbed and we just join where we can aware it will take 15mins or so to actually cross the start line. The loud speakers start the countdown and the crowd joins in. At “0” the crowd goes wild and the mob starts to inch closer to the start line. Bump into a friend Chloe, we all carry on walking together and discuss how nervous we are still and how we just want it to be over. Having failed to warm up and stretch as planned, we use the time we have while edging to the start line, as an opportunity to limber up and stretch a little.
10.03        Finally cross the start line, one final wish of good luck to each other and I repeat to Donna to stick to the game plan and not to get caught up in the moment at the start and set off too quickly. I start my wristwatch so I can keep track of my pace and turn on my mp3 player. The first few miles are so crowded and it’s impossible to go at your natural pace, you have to weave in out of other runners constantly slowing down and speeding up again. I’m already amazed at the sheer volume of supporters cheering people on, kids holding out their hands hoping to high-five the runners, people reading the names on the runner’s shirt and wishing everyone luck individually, the music that is blaring out from people’s houses. I notice a runner dressed in full bear costume and holding a huge bucket in which he’s collecting coins from supporters - nice idea.
10.11        Manage to finish the first mile in a respectable 8.20, which given the crowds and the weaving I’m happy with. Only 25 to go! I struggle to find space to be able to run at my natural pace. My strategy was to get a solid first 5 miles under my belt and I really want to stick to it. Damn, start to feel prickly heat coming on. My early morning shower tactic didn’t work. Fortunately I can tell it won’t be a bad case this time, I scratch a little at my itchy arms and before long the prickly heat goes away.
10.30         Mile 3 and the first water stop is here. I grab a bottle that’s on the end of an outstretched arm. Conscious that I need to ensure I take on enough water but not too much, I sip away at about a half the bottle and throw the rest away. Drop my bottle in amongst the hundreds that have been dropped already. Never really thought about what would happen to the water bottles once they’re dispensed with. Trying to negotiate my way through the traffic still. The masses of supporters are still there and I begin to feel a bit overwhelmed with the support. If this is only at Greenwich, what’s it going to be like at the popular places?
10.45        Mile 5 and the first lucozade stand is here. I grab a bottle and start to sip it. I look at my watch and I’m on 42mins for the first 5 miles. I’m happy with that. All through my training I’ve found that I get an energy burst at mile 5, my friend Rob had said the same, I’m sure there is a scientific explanation for it but couldn’t even guess why. I carry on trying to find my way through the crowd of runners. I keep hold of the lucozade and keep sipping it periodically. After passing the water station I try to stick to the middle of the road to avoid runners making a dash to and from the sides to grab a bottle and also to try and avoid the bottles that have been cast away after the stop.
1055        I slow down a little to try and find a new album to listen to having finished the first.
10.58        Hit the area around Cutty Sark and the crowds are spectacular. They’re several people deep at every point. This bit of the race has quite a lot of twists and turns, lots of runners getting in the way of each other as they try to find the shortest paths around the corners. I realise there are some gaps on the outside and make a burst to get past a fair few runners. Feel pleased with myself with the amount of runners I was able to pass.
11.11        Mile 8, and my strategy dictates that I need to take my first gel pack and I wash it down with the remainder of my lucozade and grab a bottle of water handed out at the water station and start to sip that.  Notice that my mins per mile has slipped a bit. Need to keep it up if I want to bring it in less than 4 hours. 2 mins later the gel packs hits and I feel more energy and am able to pick up pace a little. Start to notice the other runners more. I pass the human centipede, one of the cancer charities has about 30 runners all linked together with strings and are running (walking basically) together. It amazes me the length people have gone to raise money for charity. I notice two firemen in full gear with yellow helmet in thick black coats. The sun has broken out and it’s hot and I feel sorry for them.
11.38        Not sure the exact time or place but think it was around mile 11 and over my headphones I hear my name being screeched out. I turn to my left to see two friends of mine Sam and Hayley who’ve come down to support various people on the day. I smile and hold my hands aloft in the air at them. Felt good to see some friendly faces and start to wonder if my parents are around here. I start to look at the crowd more and more to see if I can spot anyone. Take gel pack 2 and wash it down with some water that I’m still holding. I pass someone I presume to be a squady because he’s in full army camouflage gear with a backpack that must be carrying 40 pounds. He’s another runner I feel sorry for. I also notice someone running in bright pink lycra shorts – at least he can be found by his supporters! See 3 guys dressed in Superman costumes running together as well. Just seems to be more and more costumes everywhere I look. Wonder if I should have costumed up for it as well?
11.45        Music has finished again, need to find another album. With the sun bouncing back from the screen on my mp3 player makes it hard for me see but I make a choice and carry on running.
11.47        Turn the corner that leads onto Tower Bridge. My word it’s impressive. I’ve seen and crossed Tower bridge dozens of times, but the image is still in my head even now. Seeing this blue wonder is just mesmerising. It’s filled with people and BBC cameras; I look at one camera briefly but just carry on running, no face pulling, no arms in the air – quite boring really! I do find it amazing how long the bridge actually is and how long it takes me to run over it. As we come off it, we turn right towards the Isle of Dogs. I get my first kick in balls when I see the Elite runners running the other way who are about 9miles ahead of me and are, basically, sprinting. I exhale deeply and try to carry on. A couple of minutes later I see the 13miles marker and then the half way marker very soon after. I get caught up in the moment and take gel pack 3. I realise a minute later I was supposed to take it at mile 14! I decide to try and repair my plan by taking the next pack at mile 16.5 rather than 17.  Bugger!
12.14        In the isle of dogs at mile 15 and runners have started to space out a little bit more, which is good. I’ve grabbed another lucozade. The next couple of miles are tough because the support thins out a bit. There are still many supporters but compared to the other places, it’s very light. I plod on through and start to notice that the running is now tough. The first 15 seemed to be good and now the miles feel harder and harder. I haven’t seen my parents yet and think back to the detailed itinerary Donna sent to them, and am sure that they’ll be in and around canary wharf area. Notice the dispensed water and lucozade bottles again. Start to wonder about the clean-up operation that’s required once the marathon is over.
12.25        I see the first causalities. There is a St Johns’ Ambulance pit stop tent and about 3 or 4 runners receiving calf massages. I’m a bit envious as a calf massage could be good right now.
12.30        Yet another album finished. Decide I don’t want to keep struggling with the glare on my mp3 player’s screen so choose one of my “workout” playlists which should have enough tunes to last to the end of the marathon. I choose shuffle mode to make it more interesting.
12.41         I’m at mile 18 and I took my 4th gel pack at mile 16.5 and will take my next one at 20 as planned. Hit canary wharf area, the race route is weaving in and around the canary wharf area. I try and look out for parents who I’m sure are here somewhere. The crowds are massive here again and there are some live steel pan bands and drums playing. I start to wonder how long they've been here and how long they’ll be there for as well. Some runners have started to walk, I feel sorry for them because now they’ll struggle to get the finish line as they’ll constantly be in and out of walking.
12.52        At mile 19 and haven’t seen my parents yet. Then all of a sudden I see some friends, Ben, Lewis & Laura cheering me on. Shouting out “come on rich” and giving me a massive boost. I feel better for seeing them and plough on through.
12.55        I see my first fainter! A poor chap who is lying on the side being attended to by a couple of paramedics who have wrapped him up in a reflective blanket. I feel really sorry for him.
13.01        I hit mile 20 and my quads feel really, really heavy. I haven’t hit the wall but struggle to get my legs off the ground and run properly. Look at my watch and realise I have 6 miles to go and if I do 9 minute miles, I’ll bring it in under 4 hours. I make a mental note to check my time at 21 again. I take another gel pack. The gel packs have been strapped to my arm for hours now and with the heat and sun they’ve gone very gooey and it makes them harder to take and taste nasty. The support is still absolutely phenomenal. At some point, I see my friends Hayley and Sam again. They’re screaming and shouting and jumping up and down and it gives me yet another boost. Man, I needed a boost – my legs are so heavy.
13.11        Hit mile 21 and realise that the last mile took 10’30’’, at this rate I won’t make it in less than 4 hours. I need to speed up but physically can’t. Get my next kick in the balls when I come back around and see the runners who have come off tower bridge and are heading to the Isle of Dogs. I was hoping to see runners but all I see are the people who are walking the route. I saw the human centipede again which made me smile a little. I feel very low though. I want to stop and walk part of it but I give myself a pep talk and say if I ran 22miles two weeks ago I have to at least beat that before I’m allowed to walk.
13.22         Mile 22 and I grab some water. It feels good but don’t want to drink too much too quickly. I manage to speed up a little but not much. I literally see someone pass out in front of me. He’s running and then all of a sudden he moves to the side, grabs onto the rail. He hunches over initially for a few seconds before collapsing onto the ground. Some paramedics are running towards him with kit bags and I know he’ll be in good hands. I’ve also noticed how many people are walking at this point. Some of the crowd are holding plastic cups of beer and offering it to the runners. One of the runners near me grabs a cup and downs the beer in one!
13.33        Mile 23, one more gel pack but realise I won’t get a boost from this like the others it’s about keeping me going. I look at my watch and realise that at this pace I won’t make the 4 hour mark. I don’t care at this point, I just want it to be over. I’ve now run the most I've ever run and seriously contemplate walking but then I realise I’m close to my office and will run past it soon. I say to myself to reach the office and then decide if I want to walk it. The runners have now really spaced out and I don’t have to worry about being in anyone’s way anymore or vice versa. See my first puker! This poor man grabs the rail and vomits everywhere, fortunately he misses all the supporters!
13.40        I finally reach my office and manage to raise a smile. All the bridges going over Upper Thames Street are full of people and well wishers. I then see the tunnel and say to myself that I need to get through the tunnel and then decide if I want to walk or not. As I enter the tunnel I grab a bottle of lucozade knowing I need all the energy to get to the end. Then inside the tunnel, I see masses of men peeing against the wall inside the tunnel. I laugh and carry on. I notice all the empty bottles once more and make a mental note that when I come back to work tomorrow, I will be able to see the difference after the clean-up has happened.
13.42        As I leave the tunnel it hits me. The mass of people lining the embankment are just awe inspiring. The music from my headphones is being significantly drowned out heavily by the volume of noise made by everyone. Everywhere I look I see another charity stand cheering on everybody and then raising their respective noise when they see one of their own runners. People are screaming, it’s 5 people deep at least. I realise that I can’t walk now, I’d look stupid. I just had to carry on. I wonder if my parents are here somewhere and try to look out for them. I don’t see them. I see a runner running backwards. I wonder how much extra money he’s raised by doing it backwards?
13.50        I see my Charity stand – Downs Syndrome Association. I think about waving to them, but by the time I think about it, I’ve passed the stand so I just carry on.
13.54         I see the mile 25 marker and a water stand, I swap my lucozade for some water and carry on. I see the London eye to my left and realise I’m close. I look at my watch and realise that it’s impossible to do in sub 4 now but I don’t care, I desperately want it to be over. I hit Westminster abbey and make a right turn and know the end is nigh. The masses of people are still huge but I stop to notice them now, I’m focused on finishing the damn thing.
14.00        I see a man dressed in only a Leopard skin mankini, an afro wig and socks and trainers. He’s getting cheers from everyone, he’s waiving to the crowd. Somehow I’m running behind him and it’s not a pretty sight! I move to the right and he moves to the right, I move to the left and he moves to the left! For fucks sake, I have to speed up to get passed him so I don’t see those bare arse cheeks!
14.05        I’ve now passed the 4 hour mark and passed Big Ben and the house of parliaments I keep on going. I see a sign saying 800metres to go and I speed up. I question where this burst of energy was 45mins ago! I see 600 metres to go and speed up again. Same again at 400 metres. I turn the corner and I can see it, there it is, it’s not an Oasis it’s actually there, I can see the famous finish line! I can do it! Just don’t trip over. A middle aged man sprints past me towards to the finshing line! I speed up again and carry on, must finish on a sprint (why I’ll never know). I make a dash for the far left gate. Just a few more metres now. As I cross the line I stick my fists up in the air to celebrate with as much passion as I can muster!
Done it !!
I hobbled for about 10metres and saw a curb and sat down on it. A marshal came over and asked if I was ok, I replied that I just needed to recover for 5mins. Two other runners came and sat near me and were telling a marshal how they only met at mile 19. One of them had stopped at mile 19, he was struggling and was hunched over himself. The other runner grabbed him and gave him encouragement and said they would finish it together. They stuck together for the next 7 miles and finished it together! I thought that was remarkable. With the help of a marshal I got to my feet and hobbled on, had my chip removed from my shoe, had my photo taken and collected my goody bag which contained various bits and bobs and went off to find my main red bag with my stuff in and impressed to see how organised it was.  Reached for my phone in my bag and had a few texts from people and a couple of voicemails. Tried to stretch but each time my hamstrings cramped up. I changed into my flip flops I had left in my bag and headed for the meet & greet section “W” where we had told people to come to at the end.
14.30        Finally reached “W” and it was mobbed. Tried to call my Mum but because of the sheer volume, calls weren’t getting through. So via texts I relayed where I was at and she said she was making her way down. I tried to stretch again it wasn’t happening. So I collapsed on the grass and made my way through the texts from friends enquiring how I got on…. “You alive?” I received from Ashley and “How many shit breaks?” I got from Dan S made me chuckle. I laid back on the grass and drank my water and ate my mars bar – I’d definitely earned it.
15.00        Taken a while for my mum to find me, and we agreed to move because it was too crowded where we are. We found a much better spot nearer the finishing line enclosure and texted Donna and her parents to let them know where we were.
15.45        I felt a lot better now than when I had finished and when Donna finished we chill for a bit on the grass and then make our way back.
19.00         We celebrate with Dinner at a Pizza place with some friends and our parents, I was on a high and my energy levels were surprisingly good. I found I was able to move around the tables and talk to people even though I can feel my legs are really sore. Pizza and beer taste fantastic and exactly what was needed.
21.30        Get home and I shower. Can feel the dust on my body just sliding off and then we literally collapse into bed and pass out until the next morning.
If I look back at the day now I can honestly say how impressed I was with the organisation of the whole event. From registration all those months ago right through to the day. The starting zone was great, the water & lucozade stations were fantastic and even post marathon, and it was really quick and easy to get out the enclosure.
It was shame I didn’t manage to see my parents. My Mum said she saw me around mile 19 and was screaming out at me but I was “in the zone” and focused on my running apparently. Some other friends remarked they saw me and I was the same, I guess I was just determined to stick to my race strategy, or at least that’s what I tell them anyway.
The day was totally and utterly astonishing, the support was just incredible. I don’t think I exaggerate when I claim that there must have been over a half million people supporting all the competitors and is just inconceivable when you think about. At no point over the race were they any places devoid of support. Some places were positively mobbed and it really spurs you on. I will always speak highly of the day but I found that the training can dominate your life and now I’ve ticked a box and done it, I can move on to other things, like rediscovering my love affair with beer!
My splits break down as below for those interested 
Splittimediffmin/kmkm/h
5K00:25:5325:5305:1111.59
10K00:53:1527:2205:2910.96
15K01:21:0427:4905:3410.79
20K01:49:1228:0805:3810.66
HALF01:55:1906:0705:3510.76
25K02:17:4522:2605:4510.44
30K02:47:2029:3505:5610.14
35K03:18:1630:5606:129.70
40K03:50:5332:3706:329.20
finish time04:04:1713:2406:079.83

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's have a meeting

What Makes a good autobiography

Charity