No Help Desks

7.5 hours! It took 7.5 hours today for a so-called help desk to confirm the very first question I asked them!

Lets back up a little here...this morning one of our systems that talks to a vendor's product stopped working. After a quick play around with it, I figured the password for the account that our system uses must have expired. So I rang the vendor's help desk to ask for said expired password to be reset. Having done a lot of support related work in my current position I know the danger of making presumptions about the problem without at least informing the analyst at the other end of the full details of my problem. I walked him through the issue and explained why I felt it was an expired password. He then asked me to repeat everything I done to try and fix the issue already, he made me repeat it three times. Next he didn't believe me when I said it still wasn't working. His next step was to webex into my machine (remote in over a secure connection over the web) and try himself, another 3 times. Naturally, it still didn't work.

By now, the time spent had racked up to 1 hour and 20mins. He said he would check the password at his end and call me back. One hour later he called me back to say the password didn't look like it had expired so he was referring it on to 2nd line support. So far, we're 2.5 hours in.

It required two phone calls from the 2nd line analyst. One was to do exactly what I and his colleague had already tried. The second was do it again.

Four hours in....

He then called me back and conferenced in one the developers at his company. The developer listened and said it must be an expired password.

Five hours in and the password still hadn't been reset. "But it's not marked as expired at our end" was all the analyst could say to me.

I protested, no I begged, "Please just reset the password and let's try it!". But alas, he refused.

An additional two and half hours later, he called me back to say he has now reset the password and asked if I would try the new password he would give me......and what do you know.....it worked !

I suggested that he inform his colleagues that to avoid wasting an entire day, they should just reset the password in future as one of the first steps to avoid all the unnecessary waste, as I for one, certainly do not want to go through that again.

I truly believe there are support services out there who know what they are doing, how to help and more importantly listen to you. But what I find exceptionally frustrating are those help desks who try the same things over and over again, even though it clearly isn't working. I dub these, "No Help Desks".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's have a meeting

What Makes a good autobiography

Charity